The Discipline of engineering that deals with the principles of physics and material science is termed as Mechanical Engineering. Mechanical engineering involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for designing machines and tools. It is one of the broadest and the oldest engineering disciplines and is often referred to as the mother of engineering studies.
Our aim is to provide the students a perfect blend of academic as well as practical experiences which helps them to serve the society and fulfills the needs industrial sector. At the end of our program, students are prepared for entry-level work as a mechanical engineer as well as for the postgraduate study in mechanical engineering or in other discipline, where a fundamental engineering background constitutes a desirable foundation.
The Academic activities are well supported by state-of-the-art laboratories. Academic course work and projects are designed to endow students with the ability to apply knowledge of Science, Mathematics and Engineering the capability to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams, providing leadership and technical expertise.
With a solid grounding in the principles and practice of mechanical engineering undergraduates are ready to engage in ethical approaches to engineering, with concern for society and the environment. Program at the postgraduate level aligns academic course work with research, to prepare scholars in specialized areas within the field of mechanical engineering research topics focus on industrial needs.
Scope and Opportunities of the Department
- A Mechanical Engineer’s job nature will change according to the type and domain in which they are working in the field of specialization. A mechanical engineer works how to design and control a system that goes into the process of manufacturing the machinery and product. They tests new systems for feasibility, efficiency and carry out quality management process.
- Mechanical Engineers work in the automotive, aerospace, chemical, computer, communication, paper and power generation industries.
- Mechanical Engineers will be preferred virtually in any manufacturing industry. Increasingly, mechanical engineers are also needed in the environmental and bio-medical fields.
- Mechanical Engineers could work in many industries including private or public sector industries of various types. They can seek employment in government departments like Posts and Telegraphs, Defense, PWD and CPWD. Other departments such as aeronautical, agricultural, automobile, chemical and power plants, as well as the railways, need mechanical engineers to design and maintain their machinery.
- Mechanical Engineers are mostly required in automobile, chemical, electronics, steel plants, oil exploration and refining, technical wings of armed forces.
- Candidates with post graduate degree or an additional management degree could find job in administrative and managerial positions in government departments or public and private sector industries. Those who interested in research activities can work with many public and private research organizations. These engineers can also choose teaching profession in technical institutions.
Programme Educational Objectives
The Department of Mechanical Engineering is designed to prepare its students for continued learning and successful career in the various field (industry, government, academia and consulting).
Our alumni are expected to
- Practice mechanical engineering in a broad range of industries
- Pursue advanced education, research and development, and other creative and innovative efforts in science, engineering, and technology, as well as other professional careers.
- Apply their engineering knowledge, critical thinking and problem solving skills in professional engineering practice
- Participate as leaders in their fields of expertise and in activities that support service and economic development nationally and throughout the world
- Embrace leadership roles in their careers. Conduct themselves in a responsible, professional, and ethical manner.
- Generate the ability to select and apply the technical knowledge, skills and modern mechanical engineering tools to the broadly-defined engineering technological activities.
- Assist the selection and application of knowledge in mathematics, science and technology and to solve problems that require the application of principles and applied procedures or methodologies.
- Create exposure to conduct, analyze and interpret experiments; and to apply experimental results to improve processes.
- Inculcate the spirit to function effectively as a member or leader on a technical team.
- Provide an environment to apply written, oral, and graphical communications in both technical and nontechnical environments and ability to identify and use an appropriate technical literature.
- Increase the understanding level of the need and ability to engage in selfdirected continuing professional development.
Short Term Goals
- Establishing the department as a recognized and well-known research centre in different areas of mechanical engineering.
- Graduating at least 75% of the students with distinction and honors in the department.
- Motivating the faculty to remain exposed to the Industrial processes and activities.
- Encouraging all faculty members to get involved in research programmes leading to award of Doctoral Degree.
- Shaping the students as industry ready professionals.
Long Term Goals
- Achieving 100% result and placement.
- Reinforcing the research and consultancy activity in the department.
- Undertaking quality research projects keeping in view of relevance to the needs and requirements of technology in local industry.
- Starting on-line transfer of knowledge in appropriate technology by means of establishing multipurpose resource centers.
- Modernizing all laboratories and keep them up to date considering the latest requirements and developments in thrust areas.
- Offering number of value added courses to uplift the engineers community
Vision and Mission
Strive to be the premier choice for the talented, prospective students and to be recognized by employers as a source of outstanding engineers, entrepreneurs and leaders.
Preparing the students for successful engineering career by inculcating discipline, leadership qualities, entrepreneurship skills, professional and ethical values for the betterment of our society and nation.